Season Three, Bonus Episode. Podcast recap! (And if you missed the podcast, you can find it here.)
Podcast Recap: Season 3, Bonus Episode
How to Turn your Side Hustle into a JOB
This was our first podcast with a guest!
We welcomed Jamie Johnson, Canadian Brand Ambassador for The Balvenie whisky, and famous podcast host of The Whisky Topic.
We thought you’d love to hear about how she transitioned from working in an administrative role in the Not-For-Profit Sector, to galavanting around the country drinking whisky and having a blast.
It all started with a vacation in Kentucky that led to Jamie creating @BourbonThing (a whisky tasting club with some friends) on the side while still working full-time. It wasn’t long before her circle of friends grew to include their friends, and their friends, and then their friends, and suddenly strangers were in her apartment tasting whisky (which is not as scary as it sounds.)
Jamie realized she was on to something, so she got her hustle on, and went out to find bars and restaurants that would co-host with her. This was obviously a great business move for the owners of the bars, and when that business grew Jamie started adding corporate gigs and bachelor parties to her roster.
Some sudden changes at her office left her with a TSN turning point in her career, and the voice of a mentor helped her speculate whether @BourbonThing could be a full-time gig. The answer was a resounding YES.
Nine Lessons from Jamie if You’re Considering Making a MASSIVE Career change:
- Side Hustle: Test out what you want to do. Manage the risk of leaving a secure job/industry by trying it out and seeing what the interest is like before you leave your full-time gig.
- Network: It doesn’t matter how many connections you have NOW. It’s about how many you can MAKE. This is in your hands and it takes time and patience to get there. Go out when you don’t want to. Introduce yourself even if you’d prefer to crawl onto the couch and stay there with Netflix and a stiff drink.
- Credibility: Get the accreditation that you need (if it exists.) If a formal option doesn’t exist, attend events and go out and meet the experts to build your own credibility.
- Support: Figure out financially how this will work. Can you start donating to a paid leave through your company? Can you take a sabbatical? Can you do full time work and your side hustle without getting burnt out? What is the GO/NO-GO turning point? Do you have a mentor, friend, spouse, or partner that is willing to offer emotional support and guidance?
- SAY YES. To everything (almost). You never know who you are going to meet. Be willing to take a hit to your ego in order to meet more people and gain experience.
- Social Media: Build a following to help build your credibility and share news, your message and knowledge. If you don’t know how to do this, there are a flabillion people out there who can help.
- Things Take Time: Be patient. It can take a while for your side hustle to turn into a full time opportunity. Wait for the right opportunity and don’t make the mistake of taking the first job that comes along.
- Do your Research: Do the do. Know what you are talking about and getting into.
- Be Yourself: Don’t be afraid to ask questions and admit what you know and what you don’t know.
Follow Jamie on Instagram or Twitter @BourbonThing and check out the WhiskyTopic on iTunes.
Until Next Time,